The Essex County Society for the Promotion of Agriculture,
Horticulture and Manufactures was organized in 1844, the
name being changed to the Essex County Institute in 1847.
The first fair was held October 15, 16, and 17, 1844 with
the last fair held only 7 years later in 1851. An entry in the
"History of Essex and Hudson Counties, New Jersey" states
that silver medals were given to the first prize winners and
two gold medals were awarded in 1850. There is no mention of copper medals. All are very scarce.